Offered with no comments.
1. There are no 3G networks in India, YET.
2. iPhone retails in US between $199 to $299 for the 8GB and 16GB phone. That works out to about Rs.8000 to Rs.12000 (approx) in India (at simple conversion of 1USD = Rs.40). However, the two "exclusive" providers, Airtel and Vodafone want between Rs.31000 to Rs.36000 for these models.
3. iPhone3G is going to operate on GPRS network at the moment. Both Airtel and Vodafone, have unlimited GPRS plans for as "low" as Rs.199 per month. However, for iPhone, they are not looking at this unlimited plan, but want to sell separate data plans with following "features"
* plans priced anywhere between Rs.500 to Rs.100
* "free" data downloads from 0 (zero) kb to 500MB
* additional downloads between 30paise/50kb to 5paise/10kb
4. 12 month warranty as long as one sticks with the service provider and these plans
While there will be some fanatics who may buy the iPhone, I think for vast majority price of the handset has to drop and so does data plan price.