Thanks to the long weekend, I got a chance to spend some time with a hardware service vendor on saturday in repairing (or trying to repair, as mentioned in my previous post) my two home desktop machines.
Result - work in progress :
* Two 20GB HDDs diagnozed dead or not fit for complete use. Now, I'm doing the research on how to salvage those for some kind of use.
* One machine's (Pentium II) motherboard is suspected to have problems. Needs more diagnosis by the vendor.
Luckily one of the machines has been recovered. Albeit I'm now running it with a 2GB (my first machine's HDD, way back from 1997) and a (more recent, as of last year) 200GB HDD combo :)
I think the two 20GB HDDs conked 'cos I haven't bothered using any sort of UPS for a long long time. Need to get one, I'm looking for recommendations.
Salvaged computer spec - 600MHz-P3-Celeron/192MB-SDRAM/2GB&200GB-HDD/DVD-RW/Ethernet/1.44MB-FDD
Other one (trying to be salvaged) - 160MHz-P2/64MB-SDRAM/CD-R/1.44MB-FDD
Still wondering if I actually need a core desktop upgrade - cpu/motherboard/memory/...
Other installed gear - DLink-502T, Linksys-WRT54GL
Things in pipeline:
* External casing for internal DVD/CR drive
* External hard disk drive (or) external casing for internal HDD (if available)
* Wireless LAN card (if second machine becomes operational)
Keeping my fingers crossed on how the whole thing will turn out and how my home network will look in the near future.
What do you have at home ?